The parish church of Wick is dedicated to St James the Great, and like many of the other churches in the parish dates from the 12th century. It began as a chapel, but was soon given to Ewenny Priory.
It is a Grade 2* listed building and consists of a chancel, nave, south porch and western ‘saddle back’ tower. The church is built in the Early English style, although the oldest parts of the structure such as the chancel arch, the south door, and a small window in the chancel, all date from the 12th century. The church has a medieval stone mensa altar, views of which are provided through the ‘squints’ or hagioscopes from the nave. The altar has unusual niches on either side, which probably contained statues of St James and the Blessed Virgin in centuries past. St James’ was the subject of a major Victorian restoration 125 years ago and has been added to in several ways since that date. The registers date from 1813.
To find out more visit our website www.wickchurch.wales
A regular Sunday service takes place at St James’ Church, Wick at 11.00 am (please check the Service Rota or contact the Parish Office on 01446 792439 for further details)