Of all our churches Monknash is probably the simplest in style and architecture. It is of early 12th century foundation, and the name of the village in which it is situated arose from the fact that it became a grange of Neath Abbey.
The church has been much restored and the architecture shows a number of influences, for example in the windows. The floor of the chancel is covered with the gravestones of local families of years gone by. The stone pulpit is entered through a cut-out in the chancel screen. The registers date back to 1754 and the church is a Grade 2* listed building.
A Sunday service takes place at St Mary’s Church, Monknash at 9.30am on the 2nd and 4th Sundays each month (please check the Service Rota or contact the Parish Office on 01446 792439 for further details)