Until 2013 a ruined ‘Galilee Chapel’ stood at the western end of St. Illtud’s Church. Today the ruin has been transformed into an award winning Visitor Centre. Come and take a look for yourself.
The original vision for the refurbishment of the Galilee was put forward some 50 years ago, but it wasn’t until the celebrations of the Millennium and of 1500 years of unbroken Christian worship here at Llanilltud, that plans were formulated to rebuild the Chapel in order to provide a new, more fitting home for the church’s collection of Celtic Stones – the most important group in Wales outside of National Museum – and also to establish a centre for research into the Celtic Christian heritage of the Vale of Glamorgan.
With generous grants from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Creative Rural Communities, Cadw and other funders, the project was made possible. Davies Sutton Architects were employed to design & manage the project and they commissioned Knox and Wells as the main contractors. Despite tricky weather conditions and other challenges along the way the Galilee Chapel Visitor Centre officially opened on 2nd November 2013.
Llanilltud Visitor Centre is open 10 a.m. – 4.00 p.m. every day, all year round and is free to enter.