Southerndown - All Saints
Hidden behind a stone wall and wooden gates in a corner of Southerndown cricket ground is All Saints’ Church, the youngest in the Glamorgan Heritage Coast Ministry Area having been built in 1967, 600 years after the second youngest.
Built of wood, the church is square in shape, with the altar placed in a corner, allowing flexibility with the arrangement of seating and the oak furnishings. In 2010 the former vestry was replaced by a kitchen and all-access toilet, the entrance was ramped, and the church carpeted. This allowed the building to be used for community events as well as for worship.
The present All Saints’ is the second building on this site. When Southerndown became a favourite holiday resort for the gentry with the building of two large hotels, a corrugated zinc structure was erected in 1876 opposite the Dunraven Hotel as a reading room to allow gentlemen peruse newspapers and journals. However, the need for a place of worship for both visitors and residents of Southerndown became apparent, and a year later, the reading room was also used for services, which were held on alternative Sunday mornings and evenings. A Sunday School was held every Sunday and an infants’ school daily during the winter months. This was the start of Southerndown Mission, a local committee run institution, but with services led by the vicar of St Brides Major and Readers. In 1908 the building became St Margaret’s Mission Church, and endowed by the H.J.Randall Trust. It was as the result of a road-widening scheme in 1967 that the Mission Church was demolished and the present All Saints’ Church built.
Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SS 88189 73940 Post-code (for Sat Nav): CF32 0RW
what3words: deck.breached.thrones Times of services: Wednesdays 3.00pm