Wick - St James
We first find a mention of the ‘chapel of St James’ in a charter from the second half of the 12th century when it was given to Ewenny Priory Church ‘on condition that the Prior should provide for three services weekly.’ It was later served by the vicar of St Brides Major and was joined to that parish until 1950.
Evidence that the Normans built a church here is in the chancel arch, the south doorway, a chancel window and the round font, which has rope moulding around the rim.
The nave was rebuilt in 1871 and the porch and vestry added. The western tower has a saddleback roof and houses a single bell.
The altar has a medieval altar slab with a consecration cross carved in the centre. Either side of the altar set in the east wall of the chancel are niches which would have held statues of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St James, the patron saint of the church.
There are a number of memorials in the church. On the chancel wall is that to Frances Hewett, who died in 1828 aged 30, which shows a lady grieving over an urn. There are others of the 18th and early 19th centuries of members of local farming families.
St James’ Church is listed grade II* ‘as a small rural church with early C12 origins. The interior, with its Norman and Early English features, is of particular interest’.
Ordnance Survey Grid Reference: SS 92328 72177
Post-code (for Sat Nav): CF71 7QE
Times of services: Sundays 11.00a.m.